Our caring and professional childcare providers ensure that the youngest children in the congregation (birth-3 years) have a loving and safe environment to enjoy age appropriate activities and play while their parents/guardians attend worship. The childcare room is located in the back corner of the sanctuary and is open from 9am for those needing care while their grownups participate in choir rehearsal or other volunteer activities before worship. Adults are asked to pickup their young ones immediately following the end of the worship service so that they can enjoy a time of refreshment and snacks with the rest of the congregation in Fellowship Hall.
Immanuel has a safe church policy that requires the church to create a safe environment in which children, young people and adults can learn about and experience God’s love. Included in this comprehensive policy is a provision to conduct a uniformly enforced screening process of all staff and volunteers which includes background checks and annual trainings. We follow “the rules of threes”. At all times during activities which include children and/or youth there is to be a minimum of 3 persons present in a visual contact. Such groups may include 2 children and 1 adult or 2 adults and one child. You can find a copy of our safe environment policies as they relate to children here.
Christian Kids! Church School
Faith formation for young heads, hearts and hands
“Christian Kids!” is Immanuel’s Christian Education program for children from PreK to 8th grade that provides faith formation for young minds, hearts and hands. In addition to learning Bible stories and key Christian concepts, our program incorporates service learning, interactive activities with many talented Immanuel adults and teens, and resources for family faith growth in the home.
Our Church School faith formation program takes place on Sunday mornings from September through late May, with special summer sessions on select Sundays. The children begin their day in the sanctuary at 10am with their families and are then invited to attend Sunday School located on the second floor following the children’s message.The first Sunday of every month is Communion and Immanuel’s children are able and encouraged to participate in this sacrament. Children bring their offerings to worship through music, special readings and other lively activities. Parents/guardians are asked to pick up their children from their second floor classroom at 11:15am and sign them out with their group leader.
Our goal is to provide faith education for children to develop their personal relationship with God and equip them for a lifetime of service to Christ and devotion to our Creator.
1) Know the stories of God’s people. So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ. (Romans 10:17)
Active scripture participation in corporate worship (liturgical readers, children’s messages)
Bible literacy of both the Old and New testaments (Curriculum utilizing the multiple intelligences to learn key stories of the Bible within a 6 year sequence)
2) Develop the ability to pray to form a personal relationship with God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. (Ephesians 6:18)
Simple table Grace (PreK/K)
The Lord’s Prayer (1st/2nd grade)
Spontaneous everyday prayer (3rd grade +)
3) Develop church leaders. For the scriptures say, “You must worship the Lord your God; serve only him.” (Matthew 4:10)
Worship leading opportunities (Word, music, drama)
Hospitality opportunities (door greeters, coffee fellowship)
Actively participate in sacraments of the Christian faith (baptism, Holy Communion)
Understand the elements of the worship service
i. Gloria Patri (1st/2nd grade)
ii. Doxology (3rd grade)
iii. Order of worship and liturgical seasons of the church (4th grade +)
4) Develop stewardship through service and mission opportunities. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere-in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth. (Acts 1:8)
Sharing time, talent and personal treasure with
i. Congregation (on site and visitation of members and friends)
ii. City of Hartford (Loaves & Fishes, Marshall House, Immanuel House, and Rawson School)
iii. United States
iv. Beyond the U.S. borders (Heifer International)
5) Support faith formation in the home. Recite them to your children. Talk about them when you are sitting around your house and when you are out and about, when you are lying down and when you are getting up.(Deuteronomy 6:7)
Book borrowing program for young families
Digital resources via email
Seasonal take home activities
Click below for: